1. Eliza is now beginning to release on all platforms.
    If you want to discuss her story mode,
    please use this thread and only this thread.

Report What's Up With Fukua: A Q&A With Mike Z

Discussion in 'News Section' started by Night Phyre, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Night Phyre

Night Phyre Go Home And Be A Family Man! News Writer

Steam: Night Phyre
    PSN: Night_Phyre
    Cerebella
    Parasoul
    askmikez.jpg

When did the idea of Fukua (as a seriously considered addition to the game) first come up?

MIKE Z: Fukua came from a typo from Brady a long time ago, and he had even done most of the UI assets back then. As a seriously considered addition to the game, last Thursday, so...the...night of the 27th?

How long did it take to go from concept to completion on the character? Were there any ideas that were dropped?
    MIKE Z: Concept to completion was Thursday night, only a few hours on Friday because of Salty prep, most of Saturday, none of Sunday due to some patch problems requiring work, and Monday. Approximately 3 long days of work, with help! (Brady, Brian, Rich, Vince, Jon, Brenton, and Earl you all rock!)

She has no new art, everything is re-used. Her alternate normals are old Filia attacks that were replaced with Samson attacks during SG development - they were also used for Double to differentiate her from Filia the same way - and everything else is a hack job. She re-uses bits of script from Zoner Filia and Grappler Filia, which were alternate green and red skin versions I'd made for the first public Evo demo of SG back before we had a 2nd character. Some people may remember them, possibly even fondly. (Those are the two souls in her April Fools' story, which is not meant to imply anything else.) The divekick-only-on-contact comes from Grappler but it was an idea I had for a long time before that. New ideas were added, and two or three things I didn't have time to do were dropped but they weren't really necessary. I mostly knew how I wanted her to play, so she got things that reinforced that ideal.

The over-3-year-old Zoner and Grappler scripts I reused as starting points worked without any changes, which is the thing I'm happiest about since it means the engine is pretty darn robust.

Should she stay on the roster, will Lab Zero try to implement her into the story (Brain drain clone)? Maybe a story mode?
    MIKE Z: I have no idea if we'd do anything for her story. She's not canon and I don't imagine Alex has much interest in shoehorning her into the SG universe, nor do I imagine anyone wanting to go through the work of creating a full story mode, but what do I know?
    Currently her story is Locked because there's no way to remove a character from that screen and locking it prevents the game from crashing when it tries to read a file that doesn't exist after you pick her. :^P

Fukua serves as something of a, "test," for Robo Fortune, but does she also herald the coming of other Clone/Ex characters somewhere down the line?
    MIKE Z: Fukua doesn't mean jack squat for any other EX characters. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

There were relevant jokes to be made, there was a holiday where such things are encouraged, there was a previous Skullgirls joke to capitalize on, there were old move ideas to begin with if they still worked, there were old unused animations to use as new things, and UI for her already existed. That, and if we're gonna do an April Fools joke it's gonna be whole hog, since everyone always says "Oh that should be a real thing!" So the idea of making a trailer where people would comment "I WOULD SO PLAY HER" and then having them really be able to do that...was irresistible. The perfect storm, minus three nights of sleep.

Is there anything else you wan to add?
    MIKE Z: Consider her a very special bonus. Or don't. But don't hold out hope for anyone else not already announced, and don't bother us either way. :^)

2. Goodbye18000

Goodbye18000 Let's Player / Sonic Show Member / Canadian

Steam: Goodbye18000
    PSN: Goodbye18000
    Big Band
    Fukua
    I read all of this in Mike's voice.

I think I've spent more time watching Salty Cupcakes than I've spent with my family

3. Mitju

Mitju PEACOCK

Peacock
    NOT ENOUGH INFORMATIONS
    I WANT MOAR

4. Ruin

Ruin WIELDER OF THE ANCESTRAL BEYBLADE

PSN: MobileSuitGolurk
    XBL: People still have these? My NNID is MobileSuitGolurk, btw
    Big Band
    Big Band
    Big Band
    when's Cererainbow Mikabella, though

Icky likes this.
  5. Vadsamoht

Vadsamoht Sumgai Former Admin

Steam: Vadsamoht
    Ms. Fortune
    Cerebella
    I guess then PM NightPhyre your questions and he can ask Mike when there's enough to warrant another article?

6. Denizen

Denizen #1 Wolf Warrior

Ms. Fortune
    So the rumor going around that the two souls are of Delilah and Juju are just rumors. Good.
    You're not alone bud.

7. Denizen

Denizen #1 Wolf Warrior

Ms. Fortune
    Cybermanworf likes this.
  8. Clawsome Bombs

Clawsome Bombs Season's Greetings from Santa Rodin

PSN: Noraas
    I just finished The Guided Fate Paradox not too long ago and this just gave me Spirit Library jitters.

Nice to have all the burning questions answered. Big thanks to Mr. Zaimont for doing this, since we know he's a busy man nowadays.

9. WrestlerGuile

WrestlerGuile Well-Known Member

Steam: EVoDRAgQUEEn (If a Skullgirls Sequel comes out)
    PSN: FASTERLANED
    Painwheel
    Unknown
    Unknown
    Will she be in a corner on the roster or have a secret code?

10. Night Phyre

Cerebella
    Parasoul
    God, I want it to be the code from that gag image she first appeared in :)

SHAMONE!

gllt likes this.
  11. XthAtGAm3RGuYX

XthAtGAm3RGuYX GOOMBA STOMP!!

Steam: XthAtGAm3RGuYX
    XBL: MJR Poltergeist
    Squigly
    Ms. Fortune
    Annie are you okay? Are you okay? Are you okay Annie? :PUN:

12. Number 13

Number 13 Righteous ASG Soldier Moderator

Steam: HooliganComboFTW
    Filia
  13. Arcana

Arcana Whens Pichu? SG-General Moderator

Steam: Arcana
    XBL: OnionKnight14
    Eliza
    Fukua
    Double
    im still going to pretend that zoner filia and Grappler Filia are Juju and Delia. . .I will draw my onw stick figure story mode and it will be so good every one will cry, cry for more Fukua

Broseidon Rex likes this.
  14. IsaVulpes

IsaVulpes No.

Peacock
    Fukua
    Parasoul
    Who or what is Delia

Icky likes this.
  15. Arcana

Eliza
    Fukua
    Double
    Samsons main chick until she died

16. Denizen

Denizen #1 Wolf Warrior

Ms. Fortune
    It's Delilah, not Delia.

LKArtillery likes this.
  17. RetroStation

RetroStation The Eternal Casual on Hiatus

Steam: RetroStation
    Valentine
    Parasoul
    Unknown
    >Green primary palette

Fukua confirmed for Debra incarnate. SHABBA! :PUN:

18. Balder

Balder Grossly Incandescent

PSN: SuspendoVir
    Parasoul
    Eliza
    Cerebella
    On that note, I think people who aren't whole-heartedly acceptive of Fukua would find her easier to stomach if she were placed like the hidden characters in the CPSIII JoJo, id est, not taking a slot in the select screen.
    It seems, IMHO and without wanting to bring up any arguments, most objections to Fukua are based on her not being "on par" with the rest of the cast and being a joke taken too far and I think leaving her in a off-screen slot would certainly underline what she is in relation to everyone else. It's a minimal thing that probably doesn't mean anything but just throwing that out. Just a idle thought.

Delia? I thought it was "Delilah"...
    Well, she was Samson's original host from baaaaaaaaack in the day.

19. Ruin

Ruin WIELDER OF THE ANCESTRAL BEYBLADE

PSN: MobileSuitGolurk
    XBL: People still have these? My NNID is MobileSuitGolurk, btw
    Big Band
    Big Band
    Big Band
  20. Arcana

Eliza
    Fukua
    Double
    Woops my bad, the biblical reference was Delia SG character was Delilah

21. Denizen

Denizen #1 Wolf Warrior

Ms. Fortune
  22. RetroStation

Valentine
    Parasoul
    Unknown

23. tilopud_rye

tilopud_rye Member

Squigly
    Double
    Ms. Fortune
    I read the A:'s as Mike , but the Q's came in Renders voice

24. dama624

dama624 I only like sugar cookies

Squigly
    Filia
    Hide her icon to the left of Filia, behind the rest of the UI.

25. KaboomKid

KaboomKid Ba weep gra na weep nini bong

They should just make Fukua's story mode like Q's, where you fight all of the characters for no reason, and the ending is just a bunch of people in a room going "Yeah, we don't know," and walking out.

26. XthAtGAm3RGuYX

XthAtGAm3RGuYX GOOMBA STOMP!!

Steam: XthAtGAm3RGuYX
    XBL: MJR Poltergeist
    Squigly
    Ms. Fortune
    But with her actually on the character select, the whole thing will be symmetrical once all DLC characters are added

I actually think this wasnt really an april fools event. I think it was somebody using it as an excuse to satisfy their OCD for symmetry

27. BrandX+

BrandX+ ~Sinning in Vegas by the day~

Steam: BrandX+
    PSN: BrandXplus
    Filia
    Cerebella
    NOBODY CARES YOU STUPID NERD

jk I care :3

This was a great bunch of information from Mike. Hopefully he'll have some time in the future to tweak Fukua a bit X3

Denizen likes this.
  28. Redblaze27

Redblaze27 Currently Drawing

Parasoul
    Ms. Fortune
    Fukua
    But is she gonna get some extra work done to her?

29. Blackbeltsam

Blackbeltsam New Member

Steam: Blackbeltsam
    PSN: Blackbelt5610
    I just hope she's here to stay. She's fun to play as.

30. RetroStation

Valentine
    Parasoul
    Unknown
    Animation-wise? Most likely not, except for maybe a new projectile. Balance/gameplay-wise? Probably, provided she sticks around for the long-term.

31. Redblaze27

Redblaze27 Currently Drawing

Parasoul
    Ms. Fortune
    Fukua
    She needs an announcer name call & her loading picture to not be Big Band.

32. RetroStation

Valentine
    Parasoul
    Unknown
    Mike said he'd work on that, and would do her loading art himself if he had to. Also, until the official Announcer VA is contacted, I think one of our forum regulars will be contributing to her name call.

33. Night Phyre

Cerebella
    Parasoul
    I actually thought that Fukua was a long time pet project of Mike's, based on the relative, "completeness," of the character. Turns out it was just him using old scripts, though, which is what allowed him to pull things together so quickly.

Also, I think as a matter of professional pride, they'll make whatever small edits are needed to bring the art up to snuff.

34. BrandX+

BrandX+ ~Sinning in Vegas by the day~

Steam: BrandX+
    PSN: BrandXplus
    Filia
    Cerebella
    Well she might get a few visual tweaks here and there, nothing big, just to make her look a bit cleaner.

35. Arcana

Eliza
    Fukua
    Double
    agHHH now i know where im getting it from i feel so stupid, my literature class had a short story with the main charactern called Delia and how she betrayed her husband just like Delilah betrayed Sampson

36. Idiyanale

Idiyanale Eternally wandering

Squigly
    Filia
    I wish Brady would pop in here and answer my question. Is Mysterious Hair X been Fukua all along?

37. Arcana

Eliza
    Fukua
    Double
    im sorry but i found a genie and wished for this as I wanted Symmetry

38. Mike_Z

Mike_Z Defender of the Night Lab Zero

Steam: labzero_mike
    PSN: MikeZWasTaken
    Cerebella
    Big Band
    Peacock
    *Samson

39. Arcana

Eliza
    Fukua
    Double
    im not on my game today. . .

anyways, why not use old stage assets like the Plaza, and that BGM we heard in the trailer?

40. Electric meteor

Electric meteor WhO wAnTs InFiNiTe RaRe CaNdIeS

Steam: Electric Meteor
    Valentine
    Filia
    Squigly
    Just two questions. Is Fukua still made of Jello, and is her parasite named Shamone?

EA575, XthAtGAm3RGuYX and Arcana like this.